The well was installed in 1843 at the request of the retiring station master, James Hood. His colleagues had wanted to make a gift to him, but he asked instead that they use the donations to build a drinking well at the station for public use. This was done on platform 2. A few years ago ScotRail restore3d the well as much as possible, but parts were missing. In 2015 a mysterious parcel was left outside the ticket office door. Inside was the missing lion’s head from which the water should run. A note was attached, asking the staff to look after it better this time. ScotRail has again come to the rescue, and Hood’s Well is now fully operational again.